Ir al contenido principal

Práctica 9

1.- FULL STOP .

Period
(also called Full Stop)

Rules and Examples

1. We use a period at the end of sentences that are statements.

A statement is a sentence that states, or tells, something.

REFERENCE: https://www.really-learn-english.com/period.html (May 2020)

2.- COMMA ,

Commas


Rule 1. Use commas to separate words and word groups in a simple series of three or more items.
Example: My estate goes to my husband, son, daughter-in-law, and nephew.
REFERENCE: https://www.grammarbook.com/punctuation/commas.asp (May 2020)

3.- COLON :

Colons


Rule 1b. A capital letter generally does not introduce a word, phrase, or incomplete sentence following a colon.
Examples:
He got what he worked for: a promotion
He got what he worked for: a promotion that paid a higher wage.

REFERENCE: https://www.grammarbook.com/punctuation/colons.asp (May 2020)

4.- SEMICOLON ;

How to Use Semicolons


Here's an example:
I have a big test tomorrow; I can't go out tonight.
REFERENCE: https://www.quickanddirtytips.com/education/grammar/how-to-use-semicolons (May 2020)

5.- QUESTION MARK ?

Question Mark Definition and Examples


question mark (?) is a punctuation symbol placed at the end of a sentence or phrase to indicate a direct question, as in: She asked, "Are you happy to be home?" The question mark is also called an interrogation point, note of interrogation, or question point.

REFERENCE: https://www.thoughtco.com/question-mark-punctuation-1691711 (May 2020)

6.- EXCLAMATION  MARK !

Exclamation Mark Punctuation- Definition and Examples


Use an exclamation mark at the end of a strong command, an interjection, or an emphatic declaration.
  • Stop!” he yelled. “You’ve got two flat tires!
  • “I’ve had it with your lies!
  • “Get off my lawn!
REFERENCE: https://www.gingersoftware.com/content/grammar-rules/exclamation-mark/ (May 2020)

7.- QUOTATION MARKS " " or ' '

Quotation Marks


Rule 1. Use double quotation marks to set off a direct (word-for-word) quotation.
Correct: "I hope you will be here," he said.
Incorrect: He said that he "hoped I would be there."
 (The quotation marks are incorrect because hoped I would be there does not state the speaker's exact words.)

REFERENCE: https://www.grammarbook.com/punctuation/quotes.asp (May 2020)

8.- APHOSTROPHE ´

Apostrophe Examples and Worksheets


Punctuation mark vs. literary device

Apostrophe can be either a punctuation mark or a literary device. As a punctuation mark, it signifies elision and is used when letters or words are contracted and sounds are omitted or merged. For instance, “I am” can be presented as “I’m” or “you all” can be sometimes heard as “y’all.”
REFERENCE: https://kidskonnect.com/language/apostrophe/ (May 2020)

Parentheses, Brackets and Braces


9.- BRACKETS ()

Parentheses ( )

Parentheses (plural)

Parenthesis (singular) 

Parentheses are the most common of these three punctuation marks.

REFERENCE: https://www.really-learn-english.com/parentheses-brackets-and-braces.html (May 2020)

10.- HYPHEN -

How to use a hyphen (-)

noun + adjectivenoun + participleadjective + participle
accident-pronecomputer-aidedgood-looking
sugar-freepower-drivenquick-thinking
carbon-neutraluser-generatedbad-tempered
sport-madcustom-builtfair-haired
camera-readymuddle-headedopen-mouthed
REFERENCE: https://www.lexico.com/grammar/hyphen (May 2020)

11.- DASH

Dashes


You are the friend, the only friend, who offered to help me.
You are the
friend—the only friend—who offered to help me.
I pay the bills; she has all the fun.
I pay the
bills—she has all the fun.
I wish you would … oh, never mind.
I wish you
would—oh, never mind.

REFERENCE: https://www.grammarbook.com/punctuation/dashes.asp (May 2020)

Comentarios

Publicar un comentario